Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Greetings from Canton

Dearest Family and Friends,
                                            Great to have a moment to write you all this week. I am grateful that all of you report you are doing well. This week has been one of many ups and downs, I've to hold on to the strength of my testimony more than once. All in all it has been filled with sweet blessings.
                                 Monday after writing you all we had a lesson with a man whom the previous Elders had tracted into. This man is a professor of history at one of the nearby universities and extremely learned. He gladly welcomed us into his home, immediately I felt as though the vibe was off, still I patiently let the lesson commence. We began to talk about questions he had and from the jump I knew this man supposed he was smarter than my companion and I as well as a brother from the ward we brought along with us. He began to expound on many scriptures and asked for our opinions on many off point subjects of doctrine. As this had gone on for about twenty minutes when finally there was a pause to speak. I told the man that our purpose in being in his home was to testify of the Restoration of the Gospel and to invite him to consider and pray about our message. I then went on to say to him that we were "simple men with a true message". The man quickly began rebuke me saying that, "No man bearing the title of Elder should describe himself so lowly". He then said that "I was lacking in my testimony" and that I tried to "hide my lack of confidence behind referring to myself as a simple man".  I did all I could to truly listen to the man and his rebuttal of my testimony and respect his point of view. When he concluded his speaking it seemed as to me as though all spirit had left the room. I could feel the pit within myself and it seemed as though light in the room had faded. I recognized this spirit and darkness from times past in my life. At this moment the whole room was quite and I bore my testimony to the man. I can't remember ever bearing a more powerful testimony. I felt as if my whole frame was full of fire. I bore testimony that Satan himself could appear as an angel of light unto men and disguise sin as appealing to all of us, he may place bitter for sweet and deceive us into calling good evil and evil good, but I said, "Satan cannot duplicate the peace that is felt from the Spirit of God." I bore testimony of Christ and the truth fullness of the Book of Mormon. By the time I said amen my physical body was filled with energy. I felt as though I could walk outside a flip a car upside down. The time to leave had come and no more than a minute later we were out the door. I felt the promise of the Lord that we shall not be confounded before men, and that none shall take advantage of our weakness. Our next appointment was with the woman whom I wrote of last week that said she had "prayed to Heavenly Father for us to come".The contrast of these two appointments was incredible. Sis. Curtis so humble and full of love for the Lord. She just cried through our entire lesson and said "I know this is all true, I know He sent you guys to me". Sis. Curits accepted an  invitation to be baptized on the 25th of February.
 
                   I hope that these experiences may be a strength to the reader. I know that the power of the Spirit is real.  The Lord will work a miracle in us and through us if we will be humble enough to let Him lead. I know that this work is true. I know that the Lord lives and loves. Through Him we can do all good things.
                                                                       Love, Elder Prince

No comments: